Read More ...

Friday 3 April 2015

Kitchenette Restoration!

Over the weekend we bought a second hand cubby for the kids (which is still in pieces in the backyard).   We had to pull in down ourselves so on arrival I see this kitchenette in it. It was run down, dirty, full of cob webs and creepy crawlies; I asked what she was planning to do with it and she told me it was going in a skip bin she was hiring in a few days time. So I offered to take it off her hands. I thought if I could clean it up and do something with it, it would be perfect in the cubby for Luke and Ben to make mud pies with... and if all else fails... it ends up at the tip.

This photo is taken after I gave it a good clean.


Firstly I gave it a good wash! Hot soapy water and a some elbow grease did a world of good.

Secondly, Added a few more screws and liquid nails (im in love with that stuff) to hold it all together and fix the joins that were coming apart.

Thirdly, gave it a light sand all over with a 'not so course' sandpaper so it was all 'scratched'. I knew that it would help the paint stick to the laminate.

And finally, the best part, painting! I painted all the corners and joins (as you see on the right of the photo below) and then with a small roller, painted all the flat surfaces.

I didn't even buy paint to paint it! I just had some left over wall paint from our house that I added a deep blue from my acrylic craft paint and ended up with this beautiful blue!


Left it 24 hours and then did it all over again!



Put a few white knobs on it ($1.70each from Bunnings) and make some curtains for the front cupboards with some left over material, which matched perfectly!






Haven't finish the little oven yet. It needs a little more TLC so ill let you know how it goes!

The kids have played with it ALL day! Best investment ever... a whole $5.10!

I think I have found a new passion...restorations! LOL! 
What a bargain!